Bury Council and Muse form joint venture to deliver Prestwich Village regeneration
National placemaker, Muse, and Bury Council have joined forces, forming the Prestwich Regeneration LLP joint venture (JV), to accelerate the regeneration of Prestwich Village – a £100m investment to transform the former Longfield Centre into a vibrant, family-friendly destination that becomes a new beating heart for the community.
Following the formation of the JV, the team will embark on a ‘community conversation’, giving both residents and businesses the opportunity to have their say and help to shape an emerging masterplan for the regeneration.
Both Muse and the council are working up initial plans to sustainably redevelop the centre, creating new spaces to help people and businesses to thrive, with a mix of high-quality homes and family-friendly spaces, as well as a new community hub that promotes health and wellbeing.
While the plans are still at an early stage, key ambitions for the new Prestwich Village have been revealed:
1. Pride in place – cultivating an inclusive place we can all be proud of
2. Green first – high-quality streets and spaces that link to surrounding green spaces in the village
3. Community led – creating a community hub at the heart of Prestwich
4. Belong here – championing Prestwich’s diverse spirit and its heritage to create a welcoming place for all
5. Together for good – promoting health and wellbeing through vibrant community spaces
6. Collectively independent – creating new spaces to nurture and enhance Prestwich’s strong business community
7. Future environments – enhancing the environment for future generations with a low-carbon neighbourhood to support a sustainable future
8. Walk, run, jump – a people-first approach that promotes more active and outdoor lifestyles, through new public spaces with walking and cycling routes
9. Positively connected – strengthening Prestwich’s green transport infrastructure to be safe, accessible and well connected.
The first stage of the conversation is set to include a series of drop-in sessions at Prestwich Library, online Q&As for local residents and community groups, and stakeholder workshops. There will be a number of opportunities for everyone to get involved in shaping the plans over the next year and people are being encouraged to register their interest in attending workshops and events.
David Burkinshaw, development director at Muse, said: “Redeveloping the Longfield Centre will help cement Prestwich as one of the best places to live and visit in the North West for many years to come.
“This is a huge opportunity to create a vibrant new destination for Prestwich that will be an exemplar of sustainable placemaking, deliver social value for the community, and provide the flexible spaces that local and independent businesses need to thrive into the future.
“Prestwich has a strong community spirit and we want to make sure that we give residents, businesses and stakeholders plenty of opportunity to work with us on shaping the vision. We’re looking forward to kicking this off with our first community conversation.”
Cllr Eamonn O'Brien, leader of Bury Council said: “The regeneration of our town centres is a crucial part of our strategy to make sure all areas of our borough can flourish for generations to come.
“This is the biggest single investment we have ever put into Prestwich as we are determined to transform the town and bring about much-needed improvement for the benefit of residents, businesses and visitors.
“I urge all residents and businesses to take part in the consultation events we will be hosting with Muse, and give us your views. It’s essential that everyone is behind the plans to create the Prestwich of the future.”
There are lots of ways to get in touch, register for updates, and confirm interest in attending events and taking part in workshops:
- Fill in the contact form on www.yourprestwich.co.uk
- Email email@example.com
- Call 0800 689 1095
- Write to ‘Freepost HAVE YOUR SAY’ (no further address or stamp needed)
- Social channels – Twitter @YourPrestwich | Instagram @yourprestwich | Facebook @YourPrestwich